The student should be able to use a computer monitor, keyboard, mouse. Student needs to be able to input commands and control characters from a keyboard.
This course teaches basic and advanced topics in UNIX. The operating system will be Solaris 9 (SunOS 5.9) - Sun's implementation of SystemV release 4. The course is taught on a Sun UltraSparc workstation.
Note: This course is also available for Solaris 8, 7, and Solaris 2.6.
Upon completion of this course, you should be able to: - Log in and log out of Solaris
- Use the Common Desktop Environment tools (CDE) and GNome window system
- Compose command - line strings to perform functions
- Navigate the directory tree
- Manipulate text files
- Create files and directories
- Back up and restore user file an directories
- Change permissions of files and directories
- Use the vi text editor
- Identify and modify initialization files
- Employ shell features to streamline command execution
- Use basic network commands
- Use commands to search directories and files
- List active user processes and selectively kill user processes